- State symbols of the Republic of Azerbaijan shall be: the Flag of the Republic of Azerbaijan, the Emblem of the Republic of Azerbaijan, the state anthem of the Republic of Azerbaijan.
- The Flag of the Republic of Azerbaijan shall consist of three wide stripes. The upper stripe shall be of blue color, the middle stripe shall be red and the lower one shall be green. There shall be a white crescent and eight-pointed star in the middle of the red stripe on both sides of the Flag. The proportion of the width to the length shall be 1 by 2.
- The design of the Republic of Azerbaijan Flag and the Republic of Azerbaijan State Emblem, the music and the text of the Republic of Azerbaijan state anthem shall be defined by the Constitutional Law.
The national flag of the Republic of Azerbaijan is a symbol of sovereignty of the Azerbaijani state.
The tricolor flag of the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic was first adopted at a government meeting on 19 November 1918, and was raised over the building of the Council of Ministers of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic (present” Azneft" production association of State Oil Company of the Republic of Azerbaijan) where the meeting was held.
The flag, which had a state status until 27 April 1920, the collapse of the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic, was lowered outside the building of the Azerbaijani Parliament on 3 May 1920 as a result of the occupation of Azerbaijan by the Soviet Russian troops.
Inherited from Azerbaijan Democratic Republic, the flag was approved as the national flag of Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic at the session held on 17 November 1990 on the initiative of chairman of the Supreme Assembly of the Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic, national leader Heydar Aliyev.
Under the Order of the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev dated 17 November 2009, November 9 each year marks the national Flag Day in the country.
The blue color of the national flag of the Republic of Azerbaijan has the meaning of Turkic origin of the Azerbaijani people, red color reflects the desire to establish a modern society, and develop democracy, and the green color shows belonging to Islamic civilization.
In the middle of the red stripe, an octagonal star with a white crescent is depicted on both sides of the flag. The ratio of the width to the length of the flag is 1: 2.
The National Emblem of the Republic of Azerbaijan
The National Emblem of the Republic of Azerbaijan is the symbol of independence of the Azerbaijani government.
The modern national emblem is a modified form of a draft coat of arm, which was created during the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic.
On 30 January 1920, the government of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic announced a competition on the best national emblem of Azerbaijan and made a decision that a sample of the emblem that wins the competition will be adopted on 28 May the same year. But as a result of the collapse of the Azerbaijan Democratic Republic on
28 April 1920, it was impossible to make a decision relating to the National Emblem.
On 17 November 1990, the Supreme Assembly of the Nakhichivan Autonomous Republic, after having discussed the issue relating to the national emblem, appealed to the Supreme Soviet of Azerbaijan SSR on announcement of a new contest for the preparation of the national emblem of Azerbaijan.
The competition was announced on 5 February 1991, under the decision of the Supreme Soviet of Azerbaijan Republic. On 19 January 1993, one of
the draft coats of arm developed in 1919-1920 under the Constitutional Law was adopted as the National Emblem of the Republic of Azerbaijan with certain changes.
The national emblem represents an image of oriental escutcheon placed on the arch composed of oak branches and ears. On the escutcheon on the background of colors of the national flag of the Republic of Azerbaijan there is an image of an eight-pointed star and in the center of the star there is an image of flame.
In the colored description of the National Emblem of the Republic of Azerbaijan, the star is white, the flame is red, the oak branches are green, and the ears are yellow.State anthem
On 30 January 1920, the government of Azerbaijan Democratic Republic adopted a resolution on preparing the state anthem of the Republic. In this regard, the Ministry of Public Enlightenment announced a competition for the best state anthem. But because of the fall of ADR on 28 April 1920, the state anthem of Azerbaijan was not adopted.
On 27 May 1992, the Azerbaijani Milli Majlis adopted the law "On the state anthem of the Republic of Azerbaijan", which approved the "Azerbaijani march", composed by the great composer Uzeyir Hajibayli and written by poet Ahmad Javad, as the state anthem of the Republic of Azerbaijan.
The Regulations on the state anthem of the Republic of Azerbaijan were approved by the Decree of the Milli Majlis of the Republic of Azerbaijan dated 2 March 1993.
. In 2000-2004, the amendments were made to the Regulations. Under the document, the state anthem shall be performed in the following cases:
- at the beginning and end of the sessions of the Milli Mejlis of the Republic of Azerbaijan,
- when the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan comes to the sessions of the Milli Majlis of the Republic of Azerbaijan,
- at the opening and closing ceremonies of solemn events and meetings,
- on the occasion of national holidays,
- every day at the beginning and end of the national television and radio programs,
- on the occasion of significant historical events in the life of the Azerbaijani people, during the opening of monuments and plaques for prominent political, state and military leaders, national heroes, scientists, literature and art figures,
- during the flag raising ceremony at the events held by state and public institutions, entities, bodies and organizations, and during other solemn ceremonies,
- other cases demanding obligatory performance of the state anthem of the Republic of Azerbaijan may also be envisaged by the legislation of the Republic of Azerbaijan,
In all cases, the state anthem of the Republic of Azerbaijan is to be performed completely.
-after the playing of the state anthem of the visiting country during ceremonies to welcome/see off heads of state and government of foreign countries who visit the Republic of Azerbaijan for official meetings.
Hailing the peculiarities of the anthem, national leader Heydar Aliyev said: "We must love our state anthem, and our flag as much as we love ourselves. Because this is a symbol of loyalty, love and affection to our homeland, our nation, and our state."
Music by: Useyir Hajibayli Words by: Ahmad Javad
You are the country of heroes!
We will die so that you might be alive! We will shed our blood to defend you! Long live your three-colored banner! Thousands of people sacrificed their lives You're become the field of battles.
Every soldier fighting for you, Has become a hero.
We pray for your prosperity,
We make sacrifice our lives to you Our sincere love to you,
Comes from the bottom of our hearts. To defend your honor,
To hoist your banner,
All the young people are ready. Glorious motherland, Azerbaijan, Azerbaijan!